Regusci's Rags

Quilting and family; keeping life in stitches!

Friday, May 30, 2008

Quilts

Yes, we have been quilting around here I just have not blogged about any of them. But now I have managed to finish two quilts and take pictures of them before giving them away which means it is a perfect time to blog about recent quilt activities. About a month ago one of my good friends, Summer, had a little girl Madison. Since Madison (pictured to the left) is obivously going to be Matteo's future girlfriend my mom and I decide she needed a quilt.






I had found this quilt pattern at the Glendale Quilt Show last year and fell in love with it. I bought it because I loved it but was really unsure of what I should do with it. Then when Summer found out she was having a girl it was obvious that this quilt was meant for her new bundle of joy. It is hard to tell in the picture but the solid pink and yellow squares are chenille along with the tiny purple board. So Madison we hope you enjoy your quilt.


The next quilt is a long story. I started this quilt almost a year ago. The pattern is called rail fence and is a pretty basic pattern. However it quickly became my black sheep of a quilt. For some reason after laying out the quilt in the pattern I liked I would sew a row and then move on to a whole new quilt then pull this one out again and have to lay it out all over again. This happend multiple times until I finally put it away for good. Then we moved. Once in the new sewing room I vowed to get all my started projects done before moving on to any new ones thus, pulling out the rail fence quilt. I managed finally to finish the quilt top but then folded it up never to sandwich and quilt it. Well last weekend my husband Grandfather (Bompus) asked if I would donate one of my quilts to a silent auction for the Knights of Columbus. After looking through my quilts, I found this one and realized it had finally found a home. So I found a backing and have spend my free time this week sandwiching and quilting and binding. This afternoon I was down to only having hand stitching left but we had a party to go to. I had promised Bompus the quilt by 10:00am tomorrow. What to do? I took the quilt to the party to stitch there. Thank goodness my quilting buddy Sandy and my mom where there. We all took a different side of the quilt and we had all the stitching down in less then 45min!! So finally the quilt that took a year in the making will be headed off to its new home tomorrow. Thank you Sandy and Lynn for helping with the final touches. With out further a-do my rail fence quilt:


(The lighting is a little dark, sorry)


That is all for quilting right now. My mom and I have a few other quilts underway but we are unable to discuss them right now. We also have a stack of quilts at the quilters. So hopefully they will come home soon and I can share them with you all.

3 comments:

Candace said...

OMG, what a great BLOG. The quilts are both awesome. Great story about finishing the hand sewing at a party.

In the knitting world, we call all those unfinished projects, WIP's, Works in Progress. I wonder if the quilting world uses the same term, or has one unique to it.

I myself have many WIP's, more than I am willing to count. It is always sooo exciting to start a project! I think I'll go knit!

Tracy Regusci said...

In the quilting world we call them UFO's which stands for un-finished objects. Quilts we have started but never seem to finish. I too have more then I am willing to count!

Candace said...

Actually, we have UFO's in knitting also. I guess you could call it a matter of time and intention. WPI's are not as old, we have not relegated them to the "bottom" of the pile, never to be seen again. UFO's are older, and possibly not to be touched again for us. We actually had a "UFO" month at the store where we challanged people to dig out some of those old things, figure out their problems, and finish them.