Regusci's Rags

Quilting and family; keeping life in stitches!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Oh deer...

No that is not a typo in my title.

It was bound to happen.

We live on a country road, between hills, with lots of wild animals.

Turkeys, foxes, deer, etc.

It was dark..no street lights....


Then there were a pair of eyes...right in front of my car...deer eyes.


I couldn't swerve in either directions....I did hit the breaks, trying to slow and give the deer some time.

But the deer was frozen by my headlights....

We hit it.

My mom and I were in the car, it was a big thug we didn't know what to do but the car was still driving and we were just a few feet from our road. So we headed home. Matt said we did the right thing.

The next morning we looked at the damage done to the car and found this:

Dent in the hold and the silver panel thing broken and lose.

And the bumper was out of whack too.

I assumed this was going to cost a pretty penny to fix, and with the headlight out and that silver piece flapping every time we went anywhere it was not an option to just leave it ugly for awhile. Oh and the poor deer did die, he was on the side of the road the next morning. He was young had about 2inches of antlers starting to grow. We were thankful he was not a full grown deer and that we were not in my dad's mustang.


The story doesn't end here.

Yesterday (2 days before Thanksgiving, our one day with no kids) we stop by an auto body shop to get a rough estimate. Basically will it be more than $500.00 because if it is we will turn it into insurance. Well duh, it is going to cost more that $500.

As the man was looking at the car, he turns to me and says "And the car is driving fine?"

To which I hesitate and say "Yes it has been."

Why would he ask that, what does he see?!?

My mom and me drive off home (in my car) to call the insurance company and get the ball rolling. We are about 3 miles from home when all the electrical in my car shuts off. Ok weird. But we can make it home. About 2 miles from home at the corner of Corbett Canyon and 227 (for those of you who live around here) The engine cuts off and seconds later as I am trying to coast us to a safe spot, the steering locks. Yes locks. Poor mom we were headed straight for a small ditch and she had no clue I still had breaks (Thank the Lord) So she was freaking and I was freaking for other reasons. But we managed to stop the car in a somewhat safe spot.

Then we had to call AAA for a tow.

Called Betsy and Karlee for a ride home.

Come to find out my alternator was shot.

The repair my said it could have been the deer, but they cant say exactly.

I am blaming the deer.

That has been our Thanksgiving week excitement. Oh and the best part of AAA was when the guy ask for landmarks around me or weather I was in a residential area or business. I had to laugh and answer him, "I am staring at hills, cows and horse!!" Yeah for living in a small rural town right!

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving

1 comment:

Matthew Regusci said...

I'd fix the car, but I have been so busy lately . . .