Regusci's Rags

Quilting and family; keeping life in stitches!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Complex

Ok I am beginning to get a complex with AJ. When he was just a little newborn born baby I constantly had people asking me if he was a preemie or much younger then he acutely was. It didn't really bother me much because a lot of people don't take there 48hr old baby to starbucks so people are not use to seeing that little of a baby.

However even at two months I was still getting ask questions like:

"how old is your baby? About 3 weeks?"

"no he is 2 months"

"oh my he is little, he must have been a premie"

Really? My child is not that small. I have seen smaller.

For about a month now I haven't got the preemie question but people always guess younger then his actual age, or are shocked at how old he is, and I get "wow he is small". Until yesterday...

I am sitting at Starbucks doing a little research on horners syndrome when someone innocently asks how old my baby is, who is cooing and smiling at said stranger. I happily answer "he will be four months in 2 days."

In a shocked tone they respond with, "oh wow, was he a preemie?"

Really people he was not a preemie and if he was are you really going to ask the proud mama that question?

I don't think it helped that I had just been to the eye doc with him and they might be sending him to a neurologist. Everything looks fine, no changes. He had no tumor markers in his urine and is abdominal ultrasound showed no abnormalities of his kidneys, tummy, and all those other digestive/potty organs. However, the doc did continue her research because you don't see this condition often and the research is very conflicting on the course of action. Basically because it involves nerves and the brain she thinks it might be good to have him evaluated by a neurologist. Since his test all came back negative she is first going to talk to the neurologist and consult with her weather or not we should be seen. So we might be going to a neurologist now or we might not! Crazy. I guess it is unclear weather this condition should be monitored by an opthomoligist, neurologist or both. In my heart of hearts I feel as if all is fine but you know!

So that is an update on my AJ, no he is not a preemie.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Candace said...

I know it can be hard especially when you're in a sensitive state of mind. But remember, people ask about the baby decked out in a pink dress "whats your little boys name?".

I think AJ is perfect!

Anonymous said...

Being small is just a Regusci trait. When Markus started first grade he wore 4T clothes...now look at him. It just takes a while for them to catch up.
As you know, people mean well, they just are curious.
Hang in there,
Auntie Susan