Regusci's Rags

Quilting and family; keeping life in stitches!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Making the Boring Exciting

For those that don't know my eldest little guy is a bit on the active side, physically and verbally. He is consistently on the go. (OK he does have ADD but I like the term active better!!)

With that said one of the hardest times of the day for me is driving in the car with him. Oh my goodness. Since his body has to be still (Well at least sitting down) it seems like all his energy comes bubbling out verbally, no holds bar. There have been times I have almost wrecked the car when he has screamed out "COW...COW...COW....I see a COW!!!!!!!!!!!" (yes it needed that many explanation points. It seriously drives me nuts. Or he comes up with these stories that go on and on about racing cars on the streets or how rain is made (none of which are true but they are very interesting ideas)

However, thanks to my Mom, I know have a new outlook on my crazy car rides with a very loud boy in the backseat.

We were driving around, with my Mom, and passed a tractor. All of a sudden from the back seat seat we hear.

"TRACTOR, TRACTOR, TRACTOR....MATTEO, LOOK A TRACTOR."

I cringe.

Mom looks an me and says,

"The way you should look at is; when the other kids grow up and are sharing childhood memories they will always remember that there big brother Sam could make the most boring thing in the world exciting!"

That is such a true statement. And now I can appreciate his crazy bouts or random excitement better, I just sit back and smile, thinking he is help making the boring exciting.


(fun side note this picture was in the Santa Barbabra Zoo magazine this month!!)

4 comments:

Candace said...

Gotta love making the boring exciting! Can I borrow Sam for my next car trip?

Also...way cool to get in the SB Zoo magazine. I can think of all sorts of sarcastic comments about your family zoo!

jeniferkarianne said...

Don't you just hate it when kids yell in the car? However, his zest for life also comes from you, Mama! He wouldn't be comfortable expressing his joy if you hadn't encouraged him to love life. :) :) It's a fantastic quality that will make others see the good in things for years to come!

Janice Phillips said...

That is one thing I love about Sam, thanks for capturing it so perfectly. Yay for little people who make us see the beauty in the ordinary!

Brianna Heldt said...

such a sweet perspective--thanks so much for sharing! i need to keep this in mind when my own son with adhd is making the boring things exciting. :)