Regusci's Rags

Quilting and family; keeping life in stitches!

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Family Bike Rides

This summer we decided to get bikes for the whole family so we all could go bike riding. Living on a hill gives us very limited space for the kids to ride and I hate walking the trails as they zoom ahead. However having kids at all ages and stages in their riding posed some interesting challenges. Sam wants to go fast, Serafina wants to ride a bike but can not keep up or do the duration of a long ride and well Matteo has to be in some type of seat and I wanted to be able to take all 3 kids by myself during the week. Well with a little research we manged to solve all the problems:


The front seat is made by a company called WeeRide, and Matteo loves it. Most front mounted baby seats attach to the handlebars making turning and balancing very difficult. This seat mounts to a bar that you put between the seat post and the post for the handle bars, so the baby doesn't turn with the handles. The bar stays in place but you can easily remove the seat with the turn of a knob and for a few extra bucks you can get a second bar so the seat can easily move from my bike to Daddy's for weekend rides. The bike Serafina is on is called a trail-a-bike. Pretty self explainable, it hooks to the back of my seat also, where a back baby seat normally hooks (the reason for the front carrier). She can pedal or not pedal and according to multiple sites and reviews it helps kids to get the feel of balancing. Which I believe is true, Serafina is a little unsure about it after our second ride out when we hit a few bumps and went down a hill. She definitely is feels all the balancing aspects but I am ultimately in charge. But slowly she is getting use to it. Amazingly enough it is very easy to balance and pull that full load.


Sam of course has his own bike, and he is doing great with riding. Every time we go out he gets more and more sure of himself.

A few more pictures of us trying it out in the driveway before we headed out to the trails!


We are absolutely loving biking. I have taken them out during the week and this weekend we all went as a family. What a great time, we are planning another ride tomorrow. For any of you families that want to get out a try something new my I suggest bike riding?!?

4 comments:

Candace said...

Great idea... I can put Tyler in front and Mike in the back. Should work great?!

Summer said...

Too cute. I ran to Avila on the Bob Jones trail with Madi in the stroller and Hunter scootering ahead today. Maybe we'll try bikes next summer. What age does the front seat go until?

Tracy Regusci said...

It says the seat does to age 4yr 40lbs. I haven't tried putting Serafina in it. She seems to tall,

Jeannett said...

Oh my gosh! How fun!