Regusci's Rags

Quilting and family; keeping life in stitches!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Treatment #2

In her own words:


It’s me again. Today they loaded me up with my second dose of chemo; just think, if all goes well I only have six more chemo treatments to go - life is good! All went well once they got the port working – I seem to have a temperamental port. But, as usual, yesterday’s blood draw took two pricks so I am quite thankful for my port. I was there for three-and-a-half hours for the treatment. My poor nurse had an unbelievably busy day. Her first person of the day had problems that then messed with their usually perfectly scheduled lineup of patients. Tracy and I didn’t really mind we had my laptop for silly games, Tracy was trying to download ring tones to our phones and we had reading to catch up on in Purpose Driven Life. So we were being our usual silly selves when the buzzer went off alerting the nurse that one of my IV bags was empty. She was busy with another patient and called down the hall, “I will be there in a minute.” Jokingly I responded, “OK, I won’t die will I?” Next thing I knew my very calm, very reserved, oncology doctor came running down the hallway!! Whoops, I guess you don’t yell things, like “die” in the office.

I am afraid my family is going to get really tired of me talking about my aches and pains – but they are weird (aches and pains, not my family). I never seemed to know when, where, or what kind of ache or pain I will have until it hits – hopefully as I learn the triggers and all becomes routine I will discover it is predictable. Although tiredness and pain exist, it is manageable. What I am struggling to manage is the fact I can’t be in charge of the world any more. I have to take the back seat, relax, and enjoy the ride. The big question everyone wants to know – yes – I still have my hair, I have been told it will probably go in the next two weeks. Last week we shared with the kids more details about my cancer fight so they won’t be alarmed as things happen including my losing hair. Later Jennifer (Trevor’s wife) came over and asked Serafina if anything exciting was happening this week (Serafina turned 4 so Jen expected to hear about the upcoming party). She answered, “Nana is going to lose her hair!” That’s about all that’s fit to print so I best take a nap! Love, Me

1 comment:

Candace said...

Thanks for the update sis! Its good to hear you still have your humour. Love ya!