Regusci's Rags

Quilting and family; keeping life in stitches!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Awana and School

Nothing changes around here we are still busy just managing life. The good news is that the remodel is finishing up. The kids are now all in there own rooms and the playroom is functioning. There are still minor clean up things here and there and a lot of organization to do but the end is in the near future. (When all is said and done I will do a post with pictures...I know you cant wait).

For now, to keep my faithful readers entertained I just have a few thoughts to share.

First I would liek to share about Awana's.

This is a program for children ages 3 and up where they meet to study the bible, learn verses, and just have fun in fellowship playing games and learning. For about a year or more good friends have been telling me about the program and to sign the kids up. About a month ago we made move to a new (to us) church in SLO called Grace, they have an Awana's program so I signed the kids up to help get them involed.

OH MY...it is the BEST.

I would recomended this program to anyone. My kids LOVE it, they come home pumped and excited about the bible story they learned. They are memorizing verses like crazy. Serafina can ramble off about 5 verses now and Sam knows about 6 or more (we have been doing this program for 3wk). They love the other kids and the fellowship, the conversation it brings at home and in the car are fabulous! In short if you have a local Awana's group, sign your kids up, you will not regreat it.

Second, the true reason behind not blogging as often: School.

I hate to say it.

We are looking, again, into new schooling options.

I never thought that school would be discussed as often as it is in our house. I honesty thought my kids would enter kindergarden at the local public school and graduate from the local high school. I was public educated my husband was...but oh my are times different. Here in California I can not imagine putting my child in public education. The changes this past year are amazing and now they are talking about 40-50 childern in upper grade class and 30 -40 in lower. WHAT?!? How can a teacher possiblly teacher. We did give the public school a try and then quickly moved the kids to private school.

Disscion done....or so we thought.

A few weeks ago we recieved the re-enrollment forms for our kids with a nice little note about a tuition raise.....no big deal....I was thinking 3-4%.

I was wrong....

17%.....YES 17% Sam and Serafina's tuition went up 17%

Matteo (he was going 2 days so I could help with mom's chemo etc.) His went up 40+%.....again 40+%

I about fell out of my chair. There is no way to affoard that. (not to mention if we could that it is rediculous.)

So we are once again looking into school options. AGHH We think we have it narrowed it down to two choices. One being another local private school and the other being homeschooling. Serafina has been tested for the kindergarden program and we are waiting to hear if she is accepted, if she is then all our kids are in. While we wait for that we are also looking into homeschooling. I have a great friend whom is helping figure out the ins and outs of it and different options avalible, including her helping me out a few days a week to make sure we are on track!

I am personally excited about either options so I have no idea which way we will go next year. I am hoping that God will give us a clear sign on which option is best for our family because I sure don't know!

That is were we are at. Sorry if this post went on and on, I never really just share thoughts! Something new.

Hope you are all having a great day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janice Phillips said...

Yay for AWANA!! Like your thoughts that you're thinkin'! You must have great friends! ;-) Heehee!

Brianna Heldt said...

Education really is a tough decision. It's so hard and you really do want the best for your kids.

I'm loving homeschooling and it works really well for us so far, but don't think I don't second guess it on a regular basis. :)

Kevin and I both were public schooled all the way through too, but you're right, things have changed. California especially is having a tough time right now with all the budget cuts. (There are cuts here in Colorado too on the horizon.)

I look forward to seeing what you decide!

Mary said...

We LOVE Awanas too!

Have you checked into the San Luis Obispo Classical Academy? It is a WONDERFUL school. The kids go two days a week and then their home three days a week. It is really worth looking into. There are several people that go to school there who also attend Grace. I bet you would love it. Let me know if you want more information.