Regusci's Rags

Quilting and family; keeping life in stitches!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Play Dough

I don't know about other mom's out there but Play-Doh play dough drives me nuts. The way it crumbs and dries out. It gets in the cracks and carpet.

It flat out annoys me.

But I have found the solution and it is wonderful. It is a play dough recipe my mom used with her preschool classes and then for Trevor and I. It has a great texture, it doesn't crumb and it picks up easily. The kids love to help make it (which extends the active a little longer and can be nice when your trying to kill time). Also it will last for quite awhile if you store it in an air tight container! Because this is so wonderful I thought I would post the recipe so others can enjoy the fun of a mess free play dough experience.


Play Dough

1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
2T alum (Vons carries this, normally with spices, it is used when canning things)

Mix in a saucepan and add:

1 cup water
2tsp of desired food coloring
1 T of vegetable oil

(you can also add some type of extract to give it a great smell)

Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes while stirring. It will separate from the sides of the pan and form into a lumpy mass. Turn it out of the pan and knead with more flour until you get a soft dough. Store in an airtight container.


Hope you enjoy, here are pictures of the kids enjoying a new yellow batch this morning.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to make this when my kids were little. I got the recipe from a preschool teacher friend of mine. You can also add a little more flour and make it stiff to make it more like clay. Markus used to use this when he went through his "claymation" stage at about 14!

Auntie Susan

Janice Phillips said...

lol, I can't stand normal play-dough!! I'm glad to know that you have a "good" recipe so if/when I need to use it I won't have to gag my way through clean-up. And here this whole time I thought I was just a bad big sister/babysitter/teacher. Whew!