Regusci's Rags

Quilting and family; keeping life in stitches!

Friday, September 18, 2009

From Lynn

Howdy –
I thought it was about time for an update as I journey through thi s cancer process. In a nutshell, all is going well, I feel like I am handling chemo and its side effects very well. My biggest problem is working in all the things I want to do and still have time to get to all the various doctor appointments and the rest my body demands.
For those that want more details – I have finished the first four rounds of Chemo on the drugs Adriamycin & Cyclophoshamide. I also had to take some pretty serious antinausea drugs, they caused me to be pretty loopy at times; of course the family found it quite hilarious when I would put the cereal box in the fridge or begin a sentence then forget what I was talking about. Yesterday was my second round of Taxol – this drug doesn’t create the same level of nausea so I don’t have to take such powerful drugs. All of the above drugs create hair loss so I don’t leave the house without a hat or scarf on. Some mornings I will come upstairs with my bare head and Serafina will comment, “Nana, you still look like a boy!” She tells people I will go back to work when I “look like a girl.” I hope she is right and my hair grows back that quickly, but who knows! I did wear a wig to a fundraiser the other night and actually fooled folks! I am so aware of it as a wig it is hard to believe that others don’t realize it is. (By the end of the evening it was itchy and I was scooting it around to scratch my head – Tracy said that gave it away, but only my family members got to see my antics). It is a little hard to go out even with head coverings, I feel like it is a flag saying “she has cancer,” but Tracy won’t let me sit at home. I am surprised I don’t notice other “bald” folks out and about. When you are pregnant you start seeing a million other pregnant people. So knowing how many people are fighting some form of cancer I wonder why I don’t see others either bald or with head coverings.
I am also taking part in a clinical trial using biosphonates. They are administered once a month for 6 months then once every three months for 2.5 years through my port (the same way I get all my chemo and antinausea drugs). The study is hoping that these drugs will delay or prevent bone metastases and increase the chances of long-term disease-free survival.
The biggest hassle I seem to have is getting ready to go anywhere. Last April I would roll out of bed, grab anything in my closet to wear, brush my hair and maybe put a clip in it. If I remembered makeup I would slap on some lipstick then was out the door. Now I will get up planning to run errands with Tracy so lotions are slathered on because of dry skin, then the arm exercises for my lymphedema must be done followed with squeezing my arm into a compression sleeve, then search begins in my closet for ANYTHING that might fit because the steroids (and lack of exercise) has caused me to gain a gross amount of weight), next sunscreen and makeup are needed so I won’t look like the walking dead, then I go through a series of mouth washes to heal/prevent mouth sores, and select headgear to match my outfit. FINALLY I am ready to face the world…..whoops; Tracy has run her errands and is home again. No problem, I am totally worn out from getting ready and need to take a nap!

3 comments:

Jeannett said...

Lynn you sure do seem to be taking this all in stride and with grace! Good job! I won't say I know how you feel (because I don't), but your description of taking forever to get out of the house and then needing a nap just from getting ready TOTALLY reminded me of the last few weeks of my twin pregnancy!

Tracy Regusci said...

Mom and I got a laugh out of your response Jeannett. We are constantly comparing chemo to the first trimester of pregnancy so your comment was perfect!

Candace said...

Hey sis, great posting. Keep up the good fight!