Regusci's Rags

Quilting and family; keeping life in stitches!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 18, 2010

I turned 28.

Had plans to go to Santa Barbara.

Was going to eat dinner at the Melting Pot with some girlfriends.



Then the wind started.

Then the rain started.


I was not going to be one of those Californian's who cant drive in the rain, so I left Matt at home with Matteo (the other two children were out with family) and I headed to pick up my mom in Santa Maria....in what was only to assumed the eye of the storm.

By Nipomo I wanted to cry. Traffic was not going faster then 40 and at the speed the car was being flung by the wind and rain was pelting the car. It was all I could do to keep the car on the road.

I was not driving to Santa Barbara, my mom gut/fear said no.

Pick up my mom and we had a nice lunch in Santa Maria and then did a little shopping and headed home to find....

Four boys and Matteo on the couchwith.....


no power.

Power went out about 5 minutes after I walked out the door (11:30am).


But wait there is more.....

10 minutes after I left (about the time I was driving through Nipomo) The wind decided to pick up this:
See the shade thing people are eating under in the background to the left, that is what the wind decided to move.


And throw it against this:


Yes that is one of our windows.

Then the wind decided to have it land here:

Here is a map of its flight path:

Started out near the white area on the left, hit the white spot in the middle and you can see one of its legs sticking up on the right in its resting place.


Did I mention it also took off one of our out door lights:


Note the white thing hanging to the left of the door, that was light now it is..

this, a rubber glove covering exposed electrical wires...you go boys!

Now what to do, the power is still out;

PG&E hopes to have it restored by Tuesday at 1:00am

Nonie came and took the kids and we (boys and all) went out to Madonna Inn for dinner (not exactly the GNO I was expecting but it was fun). Instead of chocolate fondue I got pink champagne cake. It was a nice consolation prize but I am still looking forward to getting down to the Melting Pot soon.

Power was restored earlier then expected around 9pm.

So it was not the birthday I was expecting but it was definitely an adventure! All in all it turned out to be a pretty fun day.

It is still raining here and the weather people say that the worset is to come tomorrow! Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Janice Phillips said...

Holy CRAP! That looks scary! Thank the Lord in heaven that window didn't shatter all over PEOPLE! Guardian angels for sure! I'm sure the Melting Pot will taste even better when you get there next. Way to make lemonade out of a lemony kind of day...that's one thing I love about your fam...ya always know how to roll with the things life brings with a smile.

Carol said...

Sounds like a Regusci Party!!!

Next time, forget the melting pot and have a fondue party at home, send the nasty boys away for the evening....AK has a recipe for a mean cheese fondue....I have one for meat.....or go to Santa Barbara and enjoy!