Regusci's Rags

Quilting and family; keeping life in stitches!

Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Pit bull


*Warning Pit bull lovers - this post is not in favor of said dogs*

Today our family was having a lovely quite Saturday. Let me emphasis the quite part as I am fighting a cold, my mom is fighting a cold and I am pretty sure Matteo is fighting said cold. Basically everyone was laying low. Matt need to tend to the goats so he took Serafina down the hill to do so. (Sam was working on homework) After about 30mins or so I began to wonder what was taking them so long, I called Matt's cell phone. To my shock he said there was pit bull down there attacking the goat and he couldn't stop him from attacking. Then the phone went dead.

My heart stopped, mom said you should go down and help. All I was thinking was that my 4yr old was down there too!

I ran down the hill to find Matt had found some cable and tied the dog to the car. He was now working as fast as he could to get the goats feed and back in their pen.

*side note our goats are very well trained/socialized that we are their family so they wont wander further then a few feet from us. When we are doing any yard work, cleaning of their pens we just let them wander around.

After getting the number off the dogs collar, I called the owner who wasn't home and left them a message. Then I quickly start to help Matt along with Serafina, who is giving me a play by play of the pit bull attack, get the goats in and safe. Meanwhile the dog is barking and trying to get at the goats. We had just got one goat in the pen when all of a sudden the dog manages to snap the cable and in a matter of a blink of an eye he has the other goat by the neck and flings him to the ground and is just attacking it. I grab Serafina and am screaming thinking I will frighten the dog. Matt tries to pull the dog off the goat to no avail and instead just starts kicking its head with his steal toe boot and finally the dog lets go. Thank God our goat jumps up and runs over to where I was and jumps on a hay bail.

Matt manages to secure the dog inside his car this time, as we had no other option. Our goat was so scared Matt had to pick her up and carry her into the cage. He looked her over and luckily she was just short some hair, the dog never broke the skin.

At that point I wanted that animal off my property. I have 3 young kids and he was not a nice dog. Serafina and I walked up the hill as the car was no longer a safe place and I called animal shelter to come get him.

Matt tied the dog up with Hershey's (our dog) leash and pinch collar. That calmed him down a bit and I kept the kids locked inside. When animal control came they were very happy at how we handled the situation and thanked Matt for tieing him up the way he did. He also look at the dog and found it was an un-neutered male, which didn't make him happy. He told Matt he would locate the owner and give them a little lecture. I was just happy he was no longer on our property.

Hopefully the 30min or so adrenile rush this afternoon doesn't ruin my chance of fighting this cold. And for the record we will never own a pit bull. Oh yes and the picture is not the exact dog that was on our property but is a pretty close match. Matt has accutly pictures on his face book.


3 comments:

Candace said...

I already had a dislike for this breed, now even more! Maybe the owners should be tied up with Hershey's "pinch" collar. Poor Serafina to have that experience.

andy gibson said...

If I was Matt, I would have killed it, no question. There was a legitimate threat to your kids and the goat.

Then I would have called the owner and told him I killed his dog which attacked me.

Brianna Heldt said...

oh man!!! i have to say my favorite part of this story was when matt kicked the dog with his boot. :)

so glad that you and matt and serafina and your goats are okay!!! how utterly annoying!