Regusci's Rags

Quilting and family; keeping life in stitches!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I am not alone.

Did you know I am not the only one with an ADHD child?

And that having an ADHD child does require a different type of parenting.

I know you are all thinking DUH but for me it really has been a revelation.

It is hard to explain.  It is like I embraced the diagnosed but not; oh yeah my son has ADHD but my friends have kids with REAL conditions.  Well ADHD is a real condition.  I can not just send him off to school and expect him to learn.  I have to monitor medication, be in constant communication with his doctor, teachers and tutors, make sure he maintains organization (that I have taught him multiple time), make sure he has a schedule he can function in (ie enough time to complete simple tasks), etc.  We have to work on social acceptable behavior for when we are out and about.  And just allow for a lot of energy.  It can be overwhelming.

We have been doing great limping along, changing things up that don't work, expanding on ones that do but lately I have been feeling like I have been hitting my head against a wall when it comes to his homework/school work.  He is a smart smart kid but can't find the motivation/focus to do the work.  I feel like we have tried thousands of different tactics and then circled backed through them all again for a retry and still: brick wall my head. 

Then I found them, thousands of them all in one spot.

Who?

Moms of ADHD childern

Where?

On a blog of course (why had I not looked earlier.):  a mom's view of ADHD

They have been here this whole time and you know what.....I am not alone.

And you know what....I have been doing the right thing.

And you know what...they had new ideas for me to try.

I feel like I have a breath of fresh air.

I feel like my Sam went to bed happier and more satisfied with his work because his Mom found a new way to attack the school/homework issues.



I am not alone and that feels great!


If you have and ADHD child go take a look at there site, you might just find something new, or just get the feeling that you are doing the right things.

1 comment:

Joanie said...

Oh, Tracy, you are such an awesome mommy! With a wonderful set of amazing, beautiful children. What a blessing to get to be together with you on this elementary school journey!

P.S. I love telling the story of our little look alike girls with their unique names and how people associated them together long before we even met. So cool!

And, yes, I did confuse your daughter for mine the other day. It happens. (It was from behind at least!)